Level 2 Certificate in Open Platforms and Digital Skills – QAN 601/1024/X
The following page and links are designed as a purpose statement for this qualification. The page will give information to students, parents, employers and others interested in the qualification as to its purpose and key characteristics. The page will also offer any endorsements for the qualification.
Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for students aged 14-16 as part of their Key Stage 4 programme of study. It is designed for students who are interested in the digital world and who wish to become critically informed users of digital technologies
Who might be interested in taking this course?
The course is a broad ranging course covering all aspects of digital technology with a focus on the emerging “always on” aspects of services. Any students who use digital technology to create or share material, or who wish to pursue a career or further study in information and communication technology will benefit from the skills and understanding on offer.
What will the student study?
- The programme of study develops an appreciation of the fact that data is all around us but that it is when data is processed that data is turned into information and with information comes power to make decisions.
- The linked unit structure allows learners to develop a “joined up” view of the digital world and the way that it impacts upon their lives and the personal decisions they make everyday.
- The “themed” sets of practical units build a digital portfolio that showcase a true “Can do” capability to tutors or agencies recruiting students to level 3 courses or to an advanced apprenticeship programme
The programme of study is divided into 4 sections
|Understanding digital platforms and open standards||25||3|
|Management digital platforms and applying digital skills||25||3|
|Protecting and future proofing digital platforms||25||3|
|Planning, executing and evaluating digital systems||50||5|
What knowledge and skills will the student develop as part of this qualification and how might these be of use and value in further studies?
Having studied this qualification you will have knowledge and skills in:
1. The many forms that data is found in the world around us
2. The ways that data is being captured without us realising
3. How digital applications transform data into information
4. Why and How personal and commercial data needs protection
5. The responsibilities that organisations who hold data have to protect that data
6. How digital applications are allowing users to collaborate to make the best use of available data
7. Why the on-line world has increased the challenges to data security
8. Practical skills in taking data and using it to meet the needs of an audience
9. Practical skills in developing a project from research and planning to testing and evaluation
Which subjects will complement this course?
This qualification is complementary to any other academic or technical subject because it is fundamentally about essential digital literacy and IT User skills. Any other subject can provide a context for their development.
Meaningful links can be made with all Ebacc subjects.
- A publishing project could result in a book with its own ISBN published for free using the Lulu.com service. That could be using English as a complement to this course.
- A video editing project might include elements of geography allied to global politics.
- Maths and art might be combined by graphics transforms in a vector drawing program.
While this qualification provides a progression route to the level 3 IT user and practitioner qualifications, it also provides a general educational background that would be suitable support for the great majority of higher level qualifications and occupations.
The following organisations have endorsed this qualification.