Level 2 Certificate in User Skills and Digital Technologies – QAN 603/2817/4
The following page and links are designed as a purpose statement for this qualification. The page will give information to students, parents, employers and others interested in the qualification as to its purpose and key characteristics. The page will also offer any endorsements for the qualification.
Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for students aged 14-16 as part of their Key Stage 4 programme of study. It is designed for students who are interested in the digital world and who wish to become critically informed users of digital technologies. It is also designed to give an understanding of open platforms which currently make up the bulk of the internet.
Who might be interested in taking this course?
The course is a broad ranging course covering all aspects of digital technology with a focus on the creation and management of different digital artefacts, whether they are numerical or graphical. Students will be critical developers of digital material that is designed to inform and persuade different audiences. They will also explore the aspects of IT project management.
What will the student study?
- The programme of study develops an appreciation of the use and deployment of basic project management techniques to enhance digital skills and understanding.
- The linked unit structure allows learners to develop a “joined up” view of the digital world and the way that it impacts upon their lives and the personal decisions they make everyday.
- The “themed” sets of practical units build a digital portfolio that showcase a true “Can do” capability to tutors or agencies recruiting students to level 3 courses or to an advanced apprenticeship programme
The programme of study is divided into 5 sections
|Digital Tools and Best Practice for Project Management||35||5|
|Digital Safety and Security Policies and Procedures||30||4|
|Digital Editing and Publishing||25||3|
|Digital Design and Graphics||25||3|
|Digital Modelling and Data Management||25||3|
The qualification is graded by a controlled assessment and an examination.
What knowledge and skills will the student develop as part of this qualification and how might these be of use and value in further studies?
Having studied this qualification you will have knowledge and skills in:
1. The many forms that data is found in the world around us
2. The ways that data is being captured without us realising
3. How digital applications transform data into information
4. Why and How personal and commercial data needs protection
5. The responsibilities that organisations who hold data have to protect that data
6. How digital applications are allowing users to collaborate to make the best use of available data
7. Why the on-line world has increased the challenges to data security
8. Practical skills in taking data and using it to meet the needs of an audience
9. Practical skills in developing a project from research and planning to testing and evaluation
Which subjects will complement this course?
While this qualification provides a progression route to the level 3 IT user and practitioner qualifications, it also provides a general education background that would be suitable support for the great majority of higher level qualifications and occupations.
Meaningful links can be made with all Ebacc subjects.
- A publishing project could result in a book with its own ISBN published for free using the Lulu.com service. That could be using English as a complement to this course.
- A video editing project might include elements of geography allied to global politics.
- Maths and art might be combined by graphics transforms in a vector drawing program.
While this qualification provides a progression route to the level 3 IT user and practitioner qualifications, it also provides a general educational background that would be suitable support for the great majority of higher level qualifications and occupations.
This qualification is part of the digital vocational pathway which can lead to a wide range of apprenticeship or higher studies in areas such as:
- Digital marketing
- Digital communication
- Digital Data analysis
- Digital security
It underpins all aspects of digital competence in any career or path of study. The world of work has seen a recent explosion in digital based careers and industries, such as FinTech or MedTech, where digital technology is used to understand and improve these industries. Very few jobs or academic disciplines would not benefit from a good grounding in the collecting, handling, interpreting and managing of data to produce information.
The following organisations have endorsed this qualification.